Sunday, January 16, 2011

Complete Update of Ancient Rhetorics Facebook Group

Ancient Rhetorics at IPFW
  • Here are some oxymorons (I stole the first on from the movie clip) girly man, act naturally.
    • You like this.
      • Steve Amidon Act Naturally was a great Buck Owens song. Oh--"great Buck Owens song"--some might consider that statement itself an oxymoron!
        Friday at 9:09am ·
      • Shem Hinkle I like "act naturally"!
        14 hours ago ·
  • OLDER POSTS
  • My dad always gave this example of an oxymoron, but I never could quite 100% see it... What does everyone else think?

    Oxymoron: glass cup
    • You and Tricia Day like this.
      • Shem Hinkle yeah, a cup is plastic typically. A glass, as the name suggests is usually made out of glass. :) We were always too poor to call it a glass. They were cups in my household.
        21 hours ago ·
  • Alliteration: Counting countless cats could create a cacophony of meows.

    Just made that up... why not! Oxymoron to follow...
    Let's see here...
  • Steve Amidon added Mike Brewer to the group.
  • This is how I learned simile, metaphor, oxymoron
    www.youtube.com
    In this scene from the movie Renaissance Man, Bill Rago (Danny DeVito) is trying to teach his students about Similes, Metaphors, and Oxymorons.
  • I found an alliteration with my name: Carries cat clawed her couch, creating chaos.
  • I may be jumping the gun a little, but here is my example of oxymoron.

    I understand oxymoron as the juxtaposition of two ideas that seem contradictory but still somehow have a nuanced force or meaning. It can involve two words or two phrases.

    For a word-level oxymoron: "waking nightmare"

    For a phrase-level oxymoron, I offer my brother's favorite defense in any argument: "You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"
    • Shem Hinkle likes this.
      • Matthew Willits The OED suggests it originates in America around the early 1900s in track and field events, where athletes would start before the pistol was fired.
        January 12 at 10:01pm ·
      • Shem Hinkle ahh, that sounds like the real deal.
        January 12 at 11:03pm ·
  • My daughter just said this the other day- "She is pretty ugly"
      • Shem Hinkle doesn't pretty also mean 'somewhat', and not just good-looking.
        January 11 at 8:59pm ·
      • Tricia Day pretty much! :-)
        January 12 at 5:43pm ·
  • Admitting that I'm not a literature student naturally would explain why I did not know what an alliteration was. But with research on the internet I found some of this example “She sells sea-shells down by the sea-short” Is an alliteration another name for a tongue twister? Here is my own alliteration- Tricia taste's tacos every Tuesday at Tony's. I think I'm turning into a literature student right in front of everyones eyes:-)
  • Not sure i know how to do this, but here it goes...
    Before being a bold or bashful being, before being bombarded with boring bouts of banal business, before bashing bitter blight, before breaking boundaries between best buddies, before browbeating blood belief, before biddable background of bitterness and bliss, before being blinded, blind-sided, blind-spotted, blind-dated or begotten is to be born.
    • You like this.
      • Steve Amidon Amazing!
        January 11 at 8:12pm ·
      • Tricia Day Well you made my attempt look like, lousy!!!
        January 12 at 6:59am ·
  • And here is one of my all-time favorite examples of alliteration. He begins using alliteration at about 30 seconds in.
    www.youtube.com
    The scene in V for Vendetta in which V introduces himself to Eevy, in a long rambling string of alliteration.
      • Ryan Quandt i love that movie, and never caught on, very cool
        January 11 at 8:34pm ·
      • Tricia Day This was very valuable, vita,l vivacious, and vibrant!
        January 12 at 6:57am · · 1 person
  • haha one I remembered from Psych...a "proven correlation".
  • My favorite oxymoron: Jumbo Shrimp.
  • alliteration, "The giant, juggernaught Jemini jumped over Judas and James jubilantly."
    • Tricia Day likes this.
      • Ryan Quandt ‎"and joyously joked in a jesterly manor."
        January 11 at 8:32pm ·
      • Ryan Quandt I will apologize in advance, for an English major, I am a terrible speller
        January 11 at 8:36pm ·
  • My favorite oxymoron when describing people far more intelligent than me, "My twin sister is stupid smart."
  • Steve Amidon added Ryan Quandt to the group.
  • The BYU website has great resources for thsi class!
    rhetoric.byu.edu
    A set of rudimentary exercises intended to prepare students of rhetoric for the creation and performance of complete practice orations (gymnasmata or declamations). A crucial component of classical and renaissance rhetorical pedagogy. Many progymnasmata exercises
  • Here's alliteration used as a tongue twister, too! :)

    Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked. If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, how many pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?
  • I never could figure out why it was called the "Great Depression." My favorite oxymoron, though, is something I always say: seriously funny! Now, I'm going to be self-conscious about it! :)
  • When reading the fables, look for examples of the figures of narration and figures of description discussed here!
    rhetoric.byu.edu
    Students were given a fable, typically one of Aesop's, which they would amplify and abbreviate. Or, they would write a new fable in close imitation of Aesop. It was specifically recommended that students turn indirect discourse into direct discourse. Example
  • Steve Amidon added Martha Eagleson to the group.
  • It's tough to pick a favorite for alliteration, but I really like Rossetti, so here's the opening line from "Jenny": "Lazy laughing languid Jenny"-- an example of both assonance and consonance.
    • You like this.
  • Steve Amidon added Tricia Day to the group.
1-23 of 29 posts · Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home