Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Parallel Posts from late 1/10, early 1/11


  • It's tough to pick a favorite for alliteration, but I really like Rossetti, so here's the opening line from "Jenny": "Lazy laughing languid Jenny"-- an example of both assonance and consonance.
    • You like this.
  • My daughter just said this the other day- "She is pretty ugly"
  • My favorite oxymoron: Jumbo Shrimp.
  • OLDER POSTS
  • Steve Amidon added Tricia Day to the group.
  • And here is one of my all-time favorite examples of alliteration. He begins using alliteration at about 30 seconds in.
    • And here is one of my all-time favorite examples of alliteration. He begins using alliteration at about 30 seconds in.
    • I may be jumping the gun a little, but here is my example of oxymoron.

      I understand oxymoron as the juxtaposition of two ideas that seem contradictory but still somehow have a nuanced force or meaning. It can involve two words or two phrases.

      For a word-level oxymoron: "waking nightmare"

      For a phrase-level oxymoron, I offer my brother's favorite defense in any argument: "You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home