Monday, April 10, 2006

The Blogger is Back!

Here I am: The inconstant blogger.

While I was at the WIDE conference, I hear Johndan Johnson Eilola talk about RFIDS and Spimes, and I got very excited when he discussed how these technologies were "textualizing our lives." I know Steve Pepple is working on a proposal related to RFIDs.

Steve's blog is at: http://blog.myspace.com/pepplespace

The writer who has recently raised interest in these issues is Bruce Sterling, one of the UR-writers of the Cyberpunk movement. My interest in Sterling goes back to my days at the Clarion SF Writers workshop in 1972. Sterling's very interesting blogging on the subject is at:

http://www.viridiandesign.org/2006/03/viridian-note-00459-emerging.html

Eilola's blog is at: http://people.clarkson.edu/~johndan/datacloud/

It's often a hoot!

2 Comments:

Blogger helm said...

Hello, it's "helm."
I just wanted to let you know that I have started Blogging again.
Though nothing particularly class oriented.
I will make some attempt at this before the end of the semester.

-helm

12:10 PM  
Blogger J Elkins said...

There was a book written about this topic, a fictional book. I can't remember the name of it right now, but it is interesting. It would make things more convenient, but the qusetion is who controls this "power"? What happens when they misuse this power? Then what? Who is going to fix it and how is anyone going to fight back? In reality you couldn't. That was what the book was about. The people couln't fight back because of the technology because the powers that be knew the people's every move. However, one man finally tried. If I think of the name of the book I will let you know. This is probably why technologies such as this aren't taken more seriously.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home