Monday, September 06, 2004

Get Back on that Horse!

From my reading, and my own publication record, slim as it is, I have come to believe that the single, most important secret to succeeding as a professional writer is this—you must write, and you must not let other pressures of life come between you and your writing.

I’m intentionally marginalizing other equally important, or even more important, parts of our lives here. But my purpose here is not to ignore the importance of other work and family members. My point is this: if the call to write is in you, you need to heed it. Writing often requires you to seek knowledge which is difficult, even painfully difficult, to reach. Sometimes we will find ourselves doing everything except the writing. I’ve discovered one of the best ways of getting your closets organized is to take on a particularly difficult task of researched writing.

I raise this issue today because it has been six days since I last wrote in my blog. I’m sure I accomplished many important tasks in those six days. But what I haven’t done is write!

3 Comments:

Blogger G L Stiltner said...

I agree that in order to be a writer you must write. For years I kept a traditional journal to do this very thing and faithfully recorded both good and bad times. Then, I entered a period in my life (school) where I felt like I was constantly running up a hill only to find more hills and the writing stopped. Just like that! But I have what you say is "...the call to write..." and I really want to give it power. So, like you, I intend to keep a better vigilance on my weblog!

12:05 PM  
Blogger G L Stiltner said...

P.S. Thanks for admitting you fall off of horses! :-)

12:06 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I didn't get a chance to reply to your blog today, wanted to read through those I had addresses for. But I do keep a journal, daily, and if I'm not writing in my journal, I'm writing something on a piece of paper or napkin or anything I can get my hands on. It is a rare day that I don't write, and when I don't I feel like a junky coming down. (Though I really don't know waht it feels like to be a junky unless you count chocolate.) About three years ago I started carrying journal with me to write whatever struck me, and often what I'd write was some problem that had just happened in the family and I had to think through it. Writing my toughts on the incident and writing out the incident and others reactions helped me get through a lot. Those things sometimes became stories or poems. I look through my journals for poems often, poems that came to me somewhere or a poem out of a situation I wrote about that had a poetic feel to it. A seven page piece of fiction came from my journal as well (and proudly I say the professor asked to keep it!).
I'm a person that can't live without writing, and I've thought about the survivor show when they tell everyone there is one item from the 'real' world that they can take with them, I wonder, how can pen/pencil and journalling book be one item? I'd be stuck! Take the journalling book and burn the end of a stick and write, I guess. I'd have to do an entry more than once a day just to get through all the childish displays that would happen.
Journalling has made my life easier to handle as well. The easiest way to get my frustrations out!
Addiction, that's what it is, an addiction, and I was serious when I said I would die if I couldn't write--just ask my hubby.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home